3 Reasons Why Asbestos Is Bad For Your Health

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that has long been valued for its high level of fire resistance. For many decades, this mineral was a common addition to residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. As such, it can be found in the ceilings, siding, and other elements of many existing, dated structures.

Unfortunately, however, asbestos can also be incredibly harmful to human health. Due to this fact, it is no longer legally allowed in any new construction, and many existing homes and commercial buildings must receive routine asbestos testing.

When asbestos is believed to have degraded to the point of becoming hazardous, all asbestos-containing materials must be removed. Following are three reasons why asbestos is bad for you health.

Asbestos Is A Fibrous Material That Can Release Harmful Particulates

When asbestos and asbestos-containing materials are new and in good condition, they do not generally pose a threat to building residents. As soon as these materials start to dry out, however, this fibrous material can start to release tiny particulates.

These particulates can be breathed in by anyone living in, working in, or passing through a building. Once this happens, the lungs and entire respiratory system can suffer.

The Body Has A Hard Time Expelling Asbestos

Breathing in asbestos particulates can lead to a host of long-lasting and potentially fatal problems. This is because the body has a very difficult time expelling asbestos.

Once these particulates become trapped in the lungs, the body often responds by surrounding this foreign matter with clusters of cells. Asbestos is known to cause three different types of respiratory cancer in this manner including asbestiosis, mesothelioma, and lung cancer.

Asbestos Can Also Be Harmful When Consumed

Consuming asbestos, whether purposefully or inadvertently can also be detrimental. Asbestos consumption is known to cause throat cancer, esophageal cancer, and cancers affecting the kidneys, colon, and other organs.

For these and many other reasons, buildings that are suspected of having this mineral present in their structures should be tested and treated to help mitigate all of the related health risks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s